Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I Blinked























Wrapped in my arms
I'm holding you tight
Wondering when
You will sleep through the night.
. . .Then I blinked.
With wobbly legs
You decide to stand
With outstretched arms
You stumble toward my hands.
. . .Then I blinked.
As we walk into school
I'm all but forgotten
With all the excitement you feel
As you start kindergarten.
. . .Then I blinked.
With stars in your eyes
And your heart turned to mush
You dreamily tell me
About your first crush.
. . .Then I blinked.
The day has come
You can hardly wait
You borrow the car
And go on your first date.
. . .Then I blinked.
With your diploma in hand
Now high school is done
Wasn't it seconds ago
That you turned one?
. . .Then I blinked.
It's the day of your wedding
You are blessed from above
You are now beginning your life
With your one true love.
As I take you in my arms
All I can do is think
Why, oh why
Did I have to blink?

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard this poem before. Such a great reminder. I'm going to have to copy that for my sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop it. You're making me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crying too! Our little ones grow up way too fast! That is so crazy how big they get.

    ReplyDelete